Tuesday 2 July 2013

Vancouver: No Lifers but Lots of Good Birding

So, the hunt for Black Swifts ended with a whimper and a pair of Vaux's Swifts teasing me near a waterfall where I was hoping to see the Black Swifts.  I saw a flyover of Band-tailed Pigeons, but no photo of that bird I had seen in Arizona as well last year, but failed to get a photo.  This year, having seen a lot of birds,  my only goal, aside from lifers whenever it works out, is to get photos of birds I didn't snap a shot of last year.  I am achieving that goal slowly but surely.

I did, however visit some amazing places within an hour or so drive of Vancouver, including Lighthouse Park, Golden Ears Provincial Park and Mount Seymour PP.  I scored new birds for my year list in every location, including Bewick's Wren, Black-headed Grosbeak, Bushtit, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Spotted Towee, Steller's Jay and Rufous Hummingbird.  However, it was the hiking that really made the trip fun.  As well, the drive up to the summit of Mount Seymour made me want to return next year and bike the 12 KM.  There were so many cyclists making their way up and I haven't biked a mountain like that since Montana many years ago.  I need to get back on my bike and get back to cycling so I will be ready for future trips.

Aside from birding downtown Vancouver's Stanley Park,(which is expensive to bird, as they charge for parking), I spent my last day halfway between Vancouver an Whistler, in the small mountain town of Squamish.  I'd have loved to have spent much more time there, and not just looking for a Black Swift or American Dipper, but again, the hiking was amazing.  The area around the hotel was overrun by White-crowned Sparrows, and the views were amazing, including Eagle Run.

In one provincial park there were warnings that the hike was "NOT a walk in the Park!"  They warned that many people need to be rescued from hazards such as steep stairs and ladder, slippery rocks and roots, shorts scrambles over rocks and cliff drop offs.  They weren't kidding.  It was one heck of a walk up to the waterfall where I had hoped to see and photograph an American Dipper.  I thought I could hear one chattering in the background of the roaring waterfall, but it did not do any dipping for me.  The walk up was an amazing workout and the walk down was a little harrowing as I attempted to not slip and fall on my butt and tumble off the cliffs.

So, I am back in Toronto, still suffering through my stent and stone issues.  Not much going on bird-wise in Ontario, and my next trip is not until the end of the month, to Florida, where I hope to spend a lot of time in the Miami area, the Keys and perhaps a trip to the Dry Tortugas if any rarities show up there while I am in the area.  Still hoping there are a few lifers to chase within the Toronto area.























No comments:

Post a Comment