Friday 10 January 2014

Birding in the Cold

Birding in extreme cold weather is only for the diehard birder.  Very few of us have been out and about,(or for you Americans reading this, oot and aboot).  I've run into a few people, some I know, but not into a lot of birds.  I did take Sue out on Sunday to see the Long-eared Owl,(we did not get stuck in the snow), Snowy and Eastern Screech Owl.  We also saw the female King Eider, which was a lot closer to shore this time around.  I even saw a Golden-crowned Kinglet, yesterday at Humber Bay East.  I've never seen one prior to March,(that being said, I've only been birding for a little over two years.  And I got to see how small a Green-winged Teal is, compared to, say a Mallard.

Green-winged Teal, frozen on the ice.  A tiny, little duck:

 As are the Buffleheads, when compared to Mallards:

 American Black Duck:

 American Wigeon:


Golden-crowned Kingletm, with a touch of the red on his crown showing:


 Female King Eider:

 Red-bellied Woodpecker.  You can see just a touch of his red belly:

 Harlequin Duck mug shots...  front view:

 ...Side view with a Common Goldeneye:

 The ice age cometh again:


No comments:

Post a Comment