Tuesday 22 April 2014

2014 Spring Migration Birding, Part 1: Florida

Migration is under way in Florida and I've spent the past week in Florida, from Tampa Bay to The Dry Tortugas getting a head start on migrating birds that will eventually be heading up to Ontario in May.  I've added an ABA Lifer, the Black-whiskered Vireo,(620), seen in Fort De Soto.  I didn't find one in Key West, where they usually spend their time, but one lost its way and ended up in St. Petersburg's migration hot spot.  Along the way I added more Florida Lifers, including a Common Nighthawk near Homestead, a first winter Connecticut Warbler at Fort Zachary in Key West,  a Peregrin Falcon at Fort Jefferson in the Dry Tortugas and Brown Booby on a channel marker off of the Fort.  I also discovered a sure fire cure for sea sickness getting to the Tortugas.  Take a plane!















No comments:

Post a Comment