Monday 20 May 2013

No Pain, No Gain for a Lifer

The Kentucky Warbler is a beautiful, but rarely seen warbler in Ontario.  According to its range map, it rarely ventures north of The Great Lakes and is usually difficult to find as it loves to skulk in low vegetation and damp undergrowth.  Though I spent some time south of Lakes Ontario and Erie I didn't even get a report of this bird anywhere I ventured in 2012.

Just this past weekend one had been reported in Rondeau Provincial Park and I had not really planned on a third trip this year.  However, with 9 straight days of work coming up, starting today, Sunday was my last chance to bird in Rondeau during the height of migration and perhaps get the Kentucky Warbler.  My journey, however, got off to a rough start.

All day Saturday I was feeling uncomfortable and by late afternoon I realized I might be suffering through yet another kidney stone.  By the time I was preparing dinner I knew for sure, and by 9pm I had taken the "special" medication the doctor prescribed for just this occasion.  Saves a trip to the hospital, if the damned thing passed overnight.  I was in bed by 9:30 and set the alarm for 4am so I could, if feeling better, head out on the near 3 hour drive to Rondeau from my home in Etobicoke.

When I awoke at 4am I was feeling fine and alert and assumed the drugs had worn off and the kidney stone pain had passed.  But by the time I arrived in Rondeau, the pain had returned and I knew I wasn't out of the woods with the kidney stone as I ventured into the woods for the Kentucky Warbler.  I was in pain on and off all day, and glad for the Extra Strength Tylenol.

I was in and out of the woods all morning and had not even a sniff of the Kentucky.  I had the call of the Mourning Warbler, met Norm Murr from Toronto, who had also ventured forth for spring warblers, and enjoyed watching a female Baltimore Oriole gathering nest materials.  In between I took a couple of trips to other paths and found a Northern Waterthrush and both a male and female Canada Warbler, and actually got a good photo of the boy bird.  I also saw an Ontario Fox Snake and enjoyed a Philly Chocolate Cream Cheese and raspberry jam sandwich for lunch.  Yum,(sandwich, not snake).

As I was taking another break from my Kentucky watch, to check out another wooded area, another couple was walking in.  I told them to be on the lookout for the bird and when we met again, about 20 minutes later, they were happy to inform me that they had seen it just 15 minutes ago, not 5 minutes after they went looking.  Glad my 4 hours of advance scouting paid off for them.  I still had an hour or so before having to head home, so I took up the watch again and after finding a Swainson's Thrush and listening to and watching an Eastern Towhee, I spotted something down in the woods.

I made my way closer, trying to find and identify the bird, but it got away.  As I was scanning the low lying areas, in the distance, I saw a bird hopping about in a dead tree trunk.  I slowly moved in closer and got a glimpse of yellow and black.  The Kentucky Warbler had been described to me as having sideburns, or "mutton chops."  This could be it.  I got closer and for a about 5-10 seconds got my look. There was no mistaking the "mutton chops."  I had my bird.  Now I needed my photograph, but as has been the case with the Canada Warbler, just seeing the bird was reward enough.  604 for my ABA Life List.

After waiting around another 20 minutes hoping for a reappearance to get a photo, I left for the Visitors Centre to report the sighting and watch the Tufted Titmouse at the feeders there.  A few folks there heard about the Kentucky sighting and I offered to show them the spot on my way out of the park.  On the way there I stopped off at the cottage on Lakeshore Road and saw the Yellow-throated Warbler and a Field Sparrow taking a bath.  Not sure if they got the bird, but everyone had a great time looking, regardless.  For me, at least, it was worth the pain.  44 species for the day, and 60 for my three trips to Rondeau this year.

Next up: Kirtland's Warbler in Michigan at the end of the month, if nothing else appears before then.


And I did get other photos, yesterday, at Rondeau:
















No comments:

Post a Comment