Thursday 16 May 2013

The Hunt for Swainson's Warbler, Part 2: Failure is an Option


As the gentleman with whom I was birding today at Hanlan's Point on Toronto Island reminded me, after failing to find the relatively rare for Ontario Swainson's Warbler, when I do finally find the bird it will be that much more satisfying.  I had a failed attempt at the bird at Fort DeSotto in April and heard one had been seen yesterday near the tennis courts on the island, so I was just there for that one bird.

I searched for nearly two hours in the bush and scrub adjacent to the tennis courts, and while the target bird did not call and was certainly not seen, I did see and hear a very good list of birds,(25, including lots of warblers), in one relatively small patch of ground.  The most walking I did was from the ferry to the tennis courts.  The rest of the morning was mostly standing and wandering in circles.

In the past week or so, I have been back to Rondeau, where I saw 55 species, besting the 51 of the previous trip, including a sleeping Eastern Whip-poor-will that everyone in the park came by to see and photograph.  It was my first time seeing a bird I had only heard previously.  

Locally, I have birded in Tommy Thompson Park, both alone and with Sue, and finally got a photo of a Bay-breasted Warbler in Colonel Sam Smith Park, and just today saw my first Canada Warbler of the year but once again missed out on a good photo.  I was able to snap a photo,(for the first time on a Canada), but it wasn't anything you could refer to as a thousand words.

Bay-breasted Warbler-finally a photograph on my 4th sighting of this bird:



 Canada Warbler-finally a lousy photo on my 4th sighting of this bird:


A lovely action shot of a Chestnut-sided Warbler:


Black-throated Blue and Green Warblers:



 My first look and photo of an Eastern Whip-poor-will after only ever hearing them call at night:


My best look and photo yet of a Nashville Warbler:




No comments:

Post a Comment