Thursday 28 November 2013

Algonquin Park: I'm Just Here for the Purple Finches

Well, I say that now, that I didn't see either a Spruce Grouse or a Black-backed Woodpecker, two of the boreal specialties Algonquin Park is known for.  But I really wanted to see Purple Finches this year and I had been thwarted at every turn each time I set out looking for these raspberry dipped cousins of the abundant House Finches.

So, having read Ron Tozer's report of them being seen up at the Visitor's Centre, off I went on Tuesday morning.  Long drive, but norhing like going to Chambly, Quebec.  But it is an enjoyable drive once you get out north of Barrie.  It was cold, but not too much so.

Once there, it took a while to see any birds at all, but I eventually saw a nice number of birds, including a Raven that flew about 5 feet in front of my nose across the Spruce Boardwalk, where, once again I could not locate a Spruce Grouse and once again almost got lost in the woods.  If not for my own footprints in the snow, like so many breadcrumbs, I might still be wondering lost in the woods.

Up at the Visitors Centre, I was rewarded, after about 10 minutes of standing in the cold on their outside viewing deck, with close looks at two male Purple Finches, along with their female counterparts.  Another addition to my Ontario Life List, too.  And eventually by the time I left after a self-service lunch of Beefaroni, I had seen Blue Jays that were acting like Woodpeckers, Evenening Grosbeaks, Downy and Harry Woodpeckers and a Chipping Sparrow or two.

And finally, on the Opeongo Road, where I was treated to Gray and Blue Jays and lots of Black-backed Chickadees, but only the calls of the Boreal Chickadee, I was able to watch, what I believe was a Mink, eating what I believe was some kind of crab.

Closer to home I birded at Humber Bay East and in the pond found three pairs of Common Goldeneyes and three sets of Long-tailed Ducks, which were nice and close and giving great looks.

There is a Lark Sparrow in Fort Erie, and I may go look at that today, if time allows.  It's on my Life List in three states and I have decided to go to Arizona after my Orlando trip this December, and it's likely I can see one there too, for my Small Year List.

We Shall see where the migrating wind blows me.

















No comments:

Post a Comment