Saturday 2 November 2013

Florida Fotos and Some Birding Back Home

I have been birding.  Not as much as I'd like, as work seems to take a chunk of my time, which I can't complain about.  But being in Florida for work does get me to places and birds I'd never see in Ontario on a regular basis.  This trip wasn't stricktly birding, as I also went to Epcot for their annual Wine and Food Festival, which is great, as you eat and drink your way around the world.

This fall I didn't do my regular visit to south Florida, but instead headed to Northern Florida for a change of scenery.  I hoped for a Brown-headed Nuthatch, but had to settle for a lot of Carolina Chickadees.  I also birded in the Orlando area since I was going to Epcot anyway.  All in all a good trip, except for one day in particular, when I couldn't for the life of me take a good photo.  Nintey perscent of my photos up in the Osceola National Forest were out of focus, because those damn birds were too flighty, wouldn't sit still, were blocked by branches or were in the shade.  This is the reason that people who have birded for years should not take up photography, as it will only drive you crazy.  However, I was treated to a great show of Eastern Bluebirds, Tufted Tit-mice,(mouses?) and a great variety of Sparrows, from Field to White-throated.

The next day I did a little better and enjoyed a wide variety of birds in very different habitats than I am used to seeing in south Florida.  I returned to Toronto to enjoy birding in Colonel Sam Smith Park and the Nonquon Sewage Lagoons, where I saw a Hudsonian Godwit with Bob Cummings, whom I run into in Col. Sam from time to time, and then, later, with Geoff Carpenter, saw and photographed,(badly), a Wilson's Snipe.  It was fun to finally meet Geoff, as we have communicated by e-mail many times over the last 22 months.

Birding will be limited because of work the next week, but later in November hope to travel up north a bit and then in December, back down south to finish off the year in Florida and then up in New Jersey, for a second year-end try for a Dovekie.

Bald Eagle:


Red-breasted Nuthatch:

Eastern Bluebird:

Golden-crowned Kinglet:

Black-bellied Whistling Ducks,(I could hear them whistling):

Brown Creeper:

Odd Semi-leicistic House Sparrow,(on the right), in my back yard:

Pectoral Sandpiper:

Wilson's Snipe:

Trumpeter Swans:





No comments:

Post a Comment