Thursday 25 April 2013

Ontario Lifers

I have not had any North American Lifers lately, though that could change if I get a Ruff tomorrow in New York State.  However, I have been out and about and found many good birds right here in Ontario, that I had not yet seen in the provence.  These include a Yellow-bellied Sapscuker, White-eyed Vireo, Marsh Wren and Pectoral Sandpiper.

The White-eyed Vireo has been showing quite well in Tommy Thompson Park here in Toronto, the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker made an appearance in Humber Arboretum, along with a late Bohemian Waxwing, the Pectoral Sandpiper was in a farmer's flooded field west of Toronto and the Marsh Wren did a song and dance in Colonel Sam Smith Park.

The weather hasn't always been the best, but it has shown signs of warming up of late.  This morning I got some nice looks at the Vireo with some other birders, and I was able to direct them to the spot I had found it the previous day.  Some other birders repaid the favour by directing me to a spot they had seen a Winter Wren, and I found and photographed it.  It took me until fall last year to find a Winter Wren.

So, birding has been more about seeing the birds than counting the numbers and it's been fun.  I'm also running into birders I met out in the field on almost a daily basis, and it's also fun renewing old acquaintances.










No comments:

Post a Comment