Saturday 10 August 2013

I'm Just Here for the Polydactyl Cats

Earnest Hemmingway's Polydactyl Cats are amongst the most famous cats in North Amarica, and though I have been to Key West several times in the last 18 months, I never really had time to visit the Hemingway house and these marvelous kitties.  Back in 2012 I was only interested in birds and didn't even know there were 6-toed cats,(polydactyl, meaning having extra digits or fingers), living in Key West.  For that matter, I hadn't even known there was even such a thing, until I saw them featured on an Animal Planet show called, Must Love Cats.  And I do love cats, even more, I must admit, than birds.

So, on my trip to Key West to find a White-crowned Pigeon,(see previous post), I made a point of just being a tourist for a day and toured the Hemingway House.  Not so much for Hemingway history, of which I did learn a little, but for the chance to see and count as many of the 45 resident 6 toed cats as I could.  Kind of like a Big Day, but with cats.

As the story goes, Hemingway was a true lover of cats, admiring their spirit and independence.  The first of these unique cats came to Hemingway as a gift from a ship's captain, and was thought to be a Maine Coon with extra toes.   Many of the cats present today are directly descended from Snowball, the fluffy, white cat that started it all, though I never did find out how Snowball was bred to create the 45 polydactyl cats that now live there.  They still have a home, thanks to a provision in Hemmingway's will that they would always be cared for.

As I roamed the grounds, the house, the balconies of the estate, I saw and counted cats around every corner and learned that they all were named after movie stars, famous authors and characters from books and movies.  I met and was politely bit by Truman Capote.  I was not the only one there just for the cats, but may have been the only person who kept a running count.  Must be the lister in me.

By the end of my tour I had counted at least 26 individuals, photographing most of them.   I finished my tour, not with a cat, but at the world's most famous cat fountain.  Many years before it served as a urinal in Sloppy Joes's bar, an institution that is still in business today.  If you're a birder who is also a cat lover, I highly recommend that you stop by the Hemingway House and Museum next time you're birding in Key West.

Back to the birds, I have updated my February 9th Blog to include the Orange-crowned Parrot, I saw after finding the La Sagra's Flycatcher.

Here are just some of the many 6 toed cats I saw that day:












No comments:

Post a Comment