Wednesday 4 December 2013

Lordy, Lordy, Will Rarities Never Cease!

As of yesterday morning, this blog was entitled, "Winter Warblers."  That all changed in the afternoon, when another Southern Ontario rarity showed up along the shores of Lake Ontario.  This time it was a very wayward Thick-billed Murre near a water treatment plant in Kingston, Ontario.  I read this report after a day of birding with Andrew Keaveney in Sedgewick Park and later in Col. Sam Smith Park.  I think he thinks I am stalking him.

Yesterday, after a very long doctor's visit,(I'm fine, thank you,), it was off to find a missing warbler.  Every birder misses a Warbler or two in the spring, so it's nice to have a spot one can depend on for late migrants.  Sedgewick Park in Oakville, Ontario is just such a place.  This weekend it hosted Yellow-rumped, Pine, Nashville and most importantly to me, an Orange-crowned Warbler.  I saw plenty of them in Earthquake Park near the Anchorage airport, and at least one in Ontario in 2012, but so far, this year, not a one.  We tromped around in the bushes, me getting covered in burrs, and found lots of Yellow-rumps, Andrew found a Nashville and we both found the Pine and Orange-crowned Warblers.  I didn't get a great photo of the Orange-crowned, but at least I got a good look at it before it vanished into more thickets and trees.

Afterwards, I drove out to the sight of my very first Snowy Owl sighting way back on the third of January in 2012.  They are called the Toll Gate ponds, under the Burlington Skyway, since way back when you had to pay a dime to get across the bridge.  I drove the length of the road twice before spotting a very dark morph Snowy, close enough that I didn't even need a scope to see it.

Then it was off to Col. Sam, where once again I ran into Andrew.  We were both looking for a Northern Shrike, but after about an hour, Andrew had to leave and I spent another hour not finding it either.  It was about then that I read the OntBirds report about the Thick-billed Murre.  I debated, as did my other birding buddy, Dave, whether or not to go, but really, a Thick-billed Murre in Ontario was a no brainer.  We were both going.

I got on the road by 5am, but had I been just a little earlier I'd have missed the horrible collision due to black ice on the 401 Highway near Quinte.  30 minutes earlier I'd have passed by before the accident.  15 minutes earlier and I might have been part of it.  A tractor trailer was spun out blocking all three lanes and we sat waiting for it to clear for nearly 2 hours.  Lots of ambulances, but I have no idea what kind of injuries there might have been.

Meanwhile, I was informed, as I waited, that the bird still hadn't been relocated, so I sat tight.  Had no choice anyway.  Around 8:30 the bird was re-found in an empty harbour, and by 9 I was back on the road.  I arrived around 10am and Mark Read, who had re-found it this morning, was standing vigil, pointing out the Murre as birders arrived to see it.  And see it we did, it was floating leisurely between boat slips less than 20 feet from shore.  It was great.  5 hours to get there and I saw the bird up close, without the aid of binoculars 30 seconds after getting out of the car.  There were also some other water birds to look at, including Common Mergansers and Common Loons.

I stayed around, took photos and enjoyed pleasant conversation with the birders who came by, as we discussed whether or not we thought the bird was healthy enough to get back to the ocean, where it belongs in winter, since it didn't seem to energetic and wasn't feeding.  Later I received word that it was diving and feeding, so hopefully it will head home soon.
n.

On the way home I stopped at a few other places looking for Northern Shrikes, but nope, they continue to elude me, though I am sure I will see one somewhere before the end of the year.  Meanwhile, I am heading out on the road once last time this year.  Buffalo tomorrow, from where I fly to Miami, for a day of birding with the Tropical Audubon Society, then off to work in Orlando, and maybe sneak in some birding for the next week.  Then I have a few days of birding in Arizona.  I hope a few of their rarities stick around too.  The last few months, with all the rare birds popping up and trips to Florida and Arizona, have the feeling of my Big Year, without the stress to get every bird.  But it sure has been fun.

Orange-crowned Warbler:


Snowy Owl at the Toll Gate Ponds:



Waiting for the tow trucks to clear the semi:


The Thick-billed Murre was worth the wait:



Loon in Winter Plumage:




Common Mergansers:






No comments:

Post a Comment