Tuesday 21 January 2014

Great Birds in Ontario

It was great to get out and start birding again.  I've been cooped up at work for the past nine days, and the only new bird I had added during that time was a Wild Turkey the morning I went up to Brooklyn, Ontario before work, at the crack of dawn, after hearding of a Great Gray Owl less than an hour's drive from home.  After standing around Cedarbrook Trail in the wind and cold for a couple of hours with a handful of other disapointed birders, the only bird bigger than the many American Crows I saw, were the Turkeys, who were crossing the road for reasons only they knew.

So, I had to wait until after the Boat Show was done for my first chance to look for the owl.  It was a frustrating week, as I kept hearing reports of people going up to the small town north of Whitby, and getting great looks at the rare visitor to this part of southern Ontario.  I was, justifiably, worried that it would be gone by the time I got a chance to go myself.  Last year I missed Great Grays in both Ottawa and Algonquin Park.  My only other sighting was in Alaska during my Big Year in 2012, and my photo was less than stellar.

So, it was with surprise and pleasure that when we arrived at the spot on Cedarbrook Trail that a large group of birders was already there and the Great Gray Owl had just flown from up the road and landed 10 feet behind where I had parked the car, and binoculars were not even nessessary to see this beautiful bird.  We all got great looks while the shutters of a dozen cameras clicked in unison.  The Owl, for his part, seemed to be enjoying the attention and gave various posses for his addoring fans.

The other great bird was an even rarer species for southern Ontario, a Spotted Towhee in Halton Hills, north west of Toronto.  I have seen them in British Columbia and Arizona, but never expected to see on in Ontario, though this has been a winter for rarities in these here parts.  This bird was visiting feeders on the front deck of a lovely couple, one of which gives piano lessons, on Main Street in the small town of Glen Williams.  I only had to stand at the side of the road watching their deck for about 10 minutes before the bird arrived and allowed a few "iffy" photos, before heading out on his daily adventures.  I had a birthday brunch to get to, so I didn't stay long enough to see it return.  By the way, Happy birthday, Mom!

Before I even got there I had already added a Rough-legged Hawk to my year list and at the feeders, got to watch new birds for the year: Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-breasted Nuthatch and Downy Woodpecker.  The Great Gray Owl and Spotted Towhee were birds 266 and 267 for my Ontario Life List.

And now a new adventure begins.  Tomorrow we head off to Costa Rica for a very new and different birding adventure.  I have been to places like this many times, including Jamaica, Mexico and Belize, but never as a birder.  So this is my chance to play catch up on the Life List.  I head south having seen 61 species this year and hope to return with a number somewhere north of 300.

I'll keep you posted.





No comments:

Post a Comment