Friday 6 June 2014

A Few New Birds

June in Ontario is a slow month for birding, as migration has ended and few new birds show up.  However, I did miss a couple of warblers during the height of Migration, and was able to go to a few new birding spots this year, thanks to recommendations from other birders.

The first was a place called Cawthra Mulock Nature Reserve just south of Barrie, where Mourning Warblers nest.  I didn't get to see one of these reclusive birds there, but did hear 3 individuals calling as I walked the mosquito infested trails.  The second new spot was a place called Skunk's Misery, and again the misery was mosquitos in even greater numbers.  In this nature preserve near Newbury, I was looking for recently seen Cerulean Warblers and Acadian Flycathers that nest in the area.  I stuck out on the Cerulean, but did watch a Yellow-billed Cuckoo fly by and then found the calling, and posing for photographs, Acadian Flycatcher.  I finally got photos of a bird I have mostly only hear over the past two-plus years and only at Happy Valley.

My next trip was a return for the first time since 2012 to Carden Alvar, an important area in Ontario, where many birds find nesting grounds, including the Eastern Loggerhead Shike, Upland Sandpiper and Golden-winged Warbler.  I had hoped to finally get photos of the Golden-winged and add Upland Sandpiper to my year list.  I saw the Uplander as I drove toward Wylie Rd and heard the Golden-winged along Wylie Rd, but did not see one.  I also missed the Loggerhead Shrikes, which would have been an Ontario Lifer.  I did hear several Sedge Wrens, and they I were number 272 for my Ontario Life List.

And the other day I went out for one last search for Cerulean Warblers, the one Wood Warbler that can been seen in Ontario that I haven't seen in 2014.  The destination was Backus Woods, in Norfolk County, just north of Longpoint Provincial Park.  According to e-bird and Jody, who was organizing an OFO tour for the following weekend, I'd hear and perhaps see the Ceruleans along the Wetlands Trail.  There are two entrances and I took the one the furthest from where the Cerulean reports came from.  So for nearly two hours I walked with only a Rose-breasted Grosbeak for my time.  Eventually, though, as I was returning to the main path, I started hearing the Cerulean calls and within minutes I found one and had it land close enough for a few photos.  I even got a bonus look at a Hooded Warbler before heading out.

Acadian Flycatcher


Clay-colored Sparrow






Acadian Flycatcher


Great-crested Flycatcher





Cerulean Warbler




No comments:

Post a Comment