Wednesday 6 January 2016

Long-eared Owl

So, about a week into my quest to eBird each and every day of 2016 I was once again going down to Col Sam Smith Park determined to find me some owls, having finally given up on Purple Sandpipers. The previous day I was there and was looking for either Snowy, or Long-eared Owls with no success. Snowy are regular visitors to the park but I had not yet seen a Long-eared Owl there. However, there had been reports of Long-eared Owls on eBird.  By the time I got to the park the rain had stopped and it wasn't long before a Cooper's Hawk chased a Long-eared Owl out from the bush. Another 20 minutes of searching resulted in finding one in some leafless bush, and having a second fly over. Only my 3rd time in 4 years seeing Long-eared Owls, and my first in Col Sam Smith Park, and number 162 for my park list.


No comments:

Post a Comment