Saturday 5 January 2013

New Year, New Goals and a New iphone Digiscope Adapter for 2013

Welcome to the 2013 edition of my blog.  I still want to keep track of my progress in birding and it will be fun to look back on last year from time to time, and share any new adventures I hope to have this year.  Just a year ago, this week, I had spent a cold morning with a hardy group of birders in Puslinch for my first Ontario rarity, a female Mountain Bluebird.  One year ago

I am 5 days into my second year of birding and can't tell you exactly how many species I have seen, or remember the names of them all.  In some ways, that is a good thing.  It takes the pressure off.  In other ways, I am missing the list.  In 2013, though, I am just a birder.  I will try and chase any rarities that are within a short drive, and catch a look at the easy birds I missed last year.   I will make a point during the year to learn more species by sight and voice.

I have been out birding on 3 of the 5 days of the year so far and I have been able to do something I couldn't do 5 days into 2012, and that is recognize Hooded Mergansers and Buffleheads and Goldeneyes, Scaups and Kestrels without aid of Sue or a field guide.   I spent today birding James Gardens and Colonel Sam Smith Park, seeing all of the above, plus a Great-horned Owl.

I created a brand new digi-scoping attachment for my iPhone, that is much improved from the juice bottle lid.  I found a small PVC plumbing thing that fits perfectly on my scope and was easily glued to my iphone case.  Another piece of PVC pipe works great with my regular digital camera.  I tested them both out today and I got the best results with the iphone adapter.  Pictures below.

So, my birding goals for this year are simple.  Become a better birder and try and add to my life list.  I missed a few easy birds in 2012 and could have used my time better to see birds such as the Kirtlands' Warbler in Michigan, say.  I also want to improve my photography skills and get a good flash, like some of the better photographers out there.  And of course, turning my 2012 blog in to a book, a roadmap/guide to birding in North America for the beginner.  

My posts this year won't be as frequent as in 2012, but I will be posting blogs and photos at least once a week, if not more often, as time permits.  

Here is my new iphone digiscoping setup





As seen through the scope






Cropped images







No comments:

Post a Comment