Thursday 31 January 2013

Spring Like Day in Toronto

So, naturally, I had to be out and about birding, yesterday when the temperatures hit 14 C.  I didn't travel far, as this year there is no money to take many trips, except for rarities within a short drive of Toronto or any of my work destinations.  No flights on the agenda this year.  Have to get those frequent flier miles built up again.  Actually, it was amazing that I got 4 flights out of it at all.

So I birded around Humber Arboretum and James Gardens as I was in those areas for errands and the weather was spectacular for January, though it rained on me while I waited to get my breaks done at the Ford dealership.

I was hoping for owls, but instead got a mixed bag of common winter birds, including a White-breasted Nuthatch and a breeding pair of American Black Ducks.  I got a brief look at a Red-bellied woodpecker as well, but no photo.  A year ago I'd have not recognized the bird on sight and might not even have identified it without a photo.  So, I am making progress.







No comments:

Post a Comment