Saturday 6 July 2013

Building the Ontario Life List

Short post, so I can remember where and when, when I am an old, old man and want to know, for whatever reason, where I saw a Northern Bobwhite here in Ontari-ari-ari-O.  The Northern Bobwhite was species 492 for my 2012 Big Year, but was seen, crossing the road at a sprint in Falcon State Park.  It momentarily paused at the edge of the road, but we were driving and there was no chance to get the camera on it before it vanished as quickly as it had arrived.

Recently, here at home, a family of Bobwhite's were seen in and around Rouge Park, and reported on E-bird.  I finally had a morning free to go search, and thanks to great GPS coordinates from the reporter, and great timing, I arrived in time to see a male and female eating some morning gravel along a path leading into the woods.  I watched and photographed them for about 10 minutes before they vanished into the woods and the rain started to fall.

I must say, it was one of the easiest target birds I have ever found.  My Ontario List now stands at 246, and my year list is at 255.  My unstated,(until now), not set-in-stone goal for this year is to get to 300 without going to Arizona, Texas, Alaska or California.




No comments:

Post a Comment