Monday 15 July 2013

The Kidney Stone Saga Comes to an End... Let the Birding Begin Anew

Last week I underwent a medical procedure that I cannot pronounce, but which used a laser to break up the kidney stone I have been suffering from for over 6 weeks now.  There was precious little birding in that time and it was a struggle to go to work and just get through a day.  However, nearly a week after the surgery, I seem to have healed and this past weekend was for the birds.

After being stuck in bed for a few days, we got out of the city for a few hours to take a drive and see some birds on Saturday.  The most interesting of which was a Black Swan, imported from Australia to add a little interest to the Avon River in Stratford, Ontario, along with a few other exotics.  The Swan is the official symbol of the city.  There had been a male and female Black Swan pair, but recently the female died leaving the male all on it's own.

Though not officially countable on an ABA list, I can add it to my list of "wild" exotics I have seen, such as the Egyptian Geese in Florida, though those have long since started breeding in the ponds of the Baptist Hospital near Miami.

Anyway, it's good to be feeling better and with fall migration beginning and a trip to Florida looming, I feel ready to take on the rest of the year, stone free!

The Swans of Stratford on Avion,(Ontario):


The Baby Grebes are getting bigger at Colonel Sam Smith Park:




 Cormorant Island at the Leslie Street Spit:




No comments:

Post a Comment